Let me know what you think of my choices in the comments box below, or tweet me @Poptastic.
The 20th Most Poptastic Single of 2014
Released: 29th October (USA)
Trivia: On The Regular provides my favourite music video and lyrics of 2014. The rest of Shamir’s music is a bit too cool for school, but On The Regular is bursting with personality and sassy humour. While his other tracks are more hipster-disco, this is just fun. It reminds me of Fannypack mixed with Azealia Banks, and the fact that Shamir is male makes him even more unique and cool.
Best bits: 1. Don’t try me, I’m not a free sample, step to me and you will be handled
2. Yep yep, you know that I go, this is me on the regular so you know
3. Yes, yes, I’m the best, fuck what you heard, anything less is obviously absurd
The 19th Most Poptastic Single of 2014
Released: 10th November (USA)
Writers: Taylor Swift, Max Martin, Shellback
Trivia: Proving that the UK charts would suffer if Scotland became independent, Blank Space was no.1 in Scotland, while in the UK as a whole it only reached no.4.
Best bits: 1. Darling, I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream
2. Got a long list of ex-lovers, they’ll tell you I’m insane, but I’ve got a blank space baby… and I’ll write your name
3. So it’s gonna be forever, or it’s gonna go down in flames
The 18th Most Poptastic Single of 2014
Released: 9th September (USA)
Writers: Nicholas Petricca, Kevin Ray, Sean Waugaman, Eli Maiman, Ben Berger, Ryan McMahon
Trivia: I once made tea for Walk The Moon. If only I’d known they would go on to create this super-poptastic tune, I would have got them some biscuits.
Best bits: 1. This woman is my destiny, she said, “Ooh-oo-ooh, shut up and dance with me!”
2. She took my arm, I don’t know how it happened, we took the floor and she said…
3. Oh don’t you dare look back, just keep your eyes on me
The 17th Most Poptastic Single of 2014
Released: 22nd August (UK)
Trivia: The first song Many Things recorded was a Christmas single (which they never actually released).
Best bits: 1. Oh my darling can’t you see, you only want what I used to be
2. I won’t write too many more lies on this page… except to say that I love you baby
3. What we are is what we are, and what we are is singing hallelujah
The 16th Most Poptastic Single of 2014
Released: 13th May (Australia)
Writers: Daniel Duque-Perez, Christopher Whitehall
Trivia: Most of you reading this won’t have even heard of The Griswolds, but their debut album Be Impressive was one of the best of 2014. As they’re an indie-rock act, I expected Beware The Dog (the lead single) to be their token catchy pop number, but actually they have many more tracks as good as this. This is the direction I’d like to see The Vamps going as they mature as a band.
Best bits: 1. We used to joke and it felt like home
2. But now you’re fucking crazy, crazy crazy crazy!
3. She used to suck the fun out of me