December 28, 2013
The 15th Most Poptastic Single of 2013
Leona Lewis – One More Sleep
That rosette eye may not go so well with her summer wardrobe
Released: 5th November (UK)
Writers: Leona Lewis, Richard Stannard, Iain James, Jez Ashurst, Bradford Ellis
Trivia: This is the first time a Christmas song has ever appeared in my top 25, though I’m not quite sure how Do They Know It’s Christmas by Shirley Clamp missed out on being included in 2004.
Best bits: 1. So I wait… and I wait… but I’ve had as much as I can take
2. One more sleep until it’s Christmas, one more sleeeep
3. 3 more wishes I can barely breathe, if I can make it to Christmas Eve then it’s one more sleep
The 14th Most Poptastic Single of 2013
Justin Timberlake – Mirrors
Could do with more symmetry
Released: 11th February (USA)
Writers: Justin Timberlake, Timothy Mosley, Jerome “J-Roc” Harmon, James Fauntleroy
Trivia: This time last year there were only vague rumours of a JT comeback, and we certainly had no idea it would be happening so soon. Apart from the majestic Mirrors (and the *N Sync reunion), Justin’s comeback has been a bit of a self-indulgent non-event, but it’s great to have a cool, talented and charismatic older male pop star around as a role model for the young pop boys of today.
Best bits: 1. With your hand in my hand and a pocket full of soul, I can tell you there’s no place we couldn’t go
2. I don’t wanna lose you now, I’m looking right at the other half of me
3. It’s like you’re my mirror, my mirror staring back at me
The 13th Most Poptastic Single of 2013
Avicii ft. Aloe Blacc – Wake Me Up
In a parallel world Avicii is a Swedish boyband member
Released: 17th June (Sweden)
Writers: Tim Bergling, Aloe Blacc, Mike Einziger
Trivia: Wake Me Up was the biggest hit to represent my favourite trend of 2013, country-inspired music released by non-country artists. It may surprise you to learn there is a history of country music from Sweden, with artists including Jill Johnson, Cookies ‘N’ Beans and (of course!) Rednex. Who knew that Cotton Eye Joe was 20 years ahead of its time? Someone has even made a Wake Me Up Joe mash-up.
Best bits: 1. Wake me up when it’s all over, when I’m wiser and I’m older, all this time I was finding myself and I didn’t know I was lost
2. Life will pass me by if I don’t open up my eyes, well that’s fine by me
3. I can’t tell where the journey will end, but I know where to start
The 12th Most Poptastic Single of 2013
Cher Lloyd ft. T.I. – I Wish
Her logo doubles as a maze
Released: 2nd September (USA)
Writers: Shellback, Savan Kotecha, Ilya, OZGO, Clifford Harris
Trivia: I Wish was clearly inspired by the single of the same name by Skee Lo, and he and Cher performed a mash-up of the two songs on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon in November. You can watch the performance here (skip to 37:20).
Best bits: 1. I wish I was taaaalllll
2. I wish I was tall, I wish I was fast, wish I could shop with a bag full of cash, cos if I want you I gotta have that
3. And now I’m at home, I’m all alone, ’bout to pick up the telephone, got to call my genie so he knows
The 11th Most Poptastic Single of 2013
Avicii – Hey Brother
He should get some advice from Jessie J on that green skin
Released: 28th October (Sweden)
Writers: Avicii, Ash Pournouri, Salem Al Fakir, Vincent Pontare
Trivia: If you read Avicii’s album sleeve or Wikipedia pages you’ll see a lot of mentions of Ash Pournouri, who seems to be the brains behind the Swedish DJ’s massive commercial crossover success. Ash is Avicii’s manager and has a co-writer credit on all his album tracks, as well as executive producer credit on the album itself. Check out his official bio for more info on how he discovered and developed Avicii, though its less than humble tone makes me loath to praise him too much.
Best bits: 1. What if I’m far from hoooome? Oh brother I will hear you call. What if I loooose it all? Oh sister I will help you out!
2. Oh if the sky comes falling down, for you there’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do
3. Hey brother, there’s an endless road to rediscover, hey sister, do you still believe in love I wonder?